My Headlines

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Where Do You Want Me To Go From Here?

 

What, really, is God's will for particular situations? We know his revealed will in the Bible. But his temporal will is different. Supposedly Christians in the Reformed tradition have God's sovereignty sewed up and nicely packaged to include all his will, revealed and secret. But often it is the latter that leaves Christians hopeless, frustrated, or confused. I have developed a list of questions to help find God's direction for a particular situation in my life. It goes like this:


  • Is it lawful? Sinclair Ferguson says God set us free for holiness, not lawlessness.
  • Is it beneficial to me? Is my relationship with Jesus Christ strengthened by it?
  • Is it enslaving? When we cannot be content without it, when we simply must have it, it is no longer liberty we are exercising, but we have become its slave.
  • Is it consistent with Christ's lordship? Can I take Him into it, in good conscience, with me?
  • Is it helpful to others? "So whatever you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved." 1 Cor. 10:31-33
  • Is it consistent with Biblical example? Can I see it mirrored in the Bible?
  • Is it for the glory of God? For that matter am I living to the glory of God?
Altogether, this primer has been a help to me over many years of ministry in music, travel, teaching, and relationships. I hope it may help someone else as well. 

There is a hymn for this pursuit as well:


The task thy wisdom hath assigned
O let me cheerfully fulfill,
In all my works thy presence find,
And prove thy good and perfect will.

Thee may I set at my right hand,
Whose eyes my inmost substance see,
And labor on at thy command,
And offer all my works to thee.

Give me to bear thy easy yoke,
And every moment watch and pray,
And still to things eternal look,
And hasten to thy glorious day.

Charles Wesley

No comments: